This short article attempts to explain the meaning, advantages and disadvantages (drawbacks) of a small family.
What is a Small Family? A small family (also nuclear family) is a family group made up only of close relatives. Usually, this family includes parents and their children, and no one else.
The small family is sometimes called the ‘nuclear family’ because it is concentrated around a small, central nucleus.
Advantages of the small family.
1. Real knowledge of each other. When there are only a few people in the family, you really get to know and trust each other.
2. Strong support network. A tight knit family group can be one of the smallest support networks out there.
3. Fewer costs. Smaller families mean fewer mouths to feed, and lower food, water and fuel bills.
4. Feeling unique. If you are a member of a small family, you may feel more of a unique individual.
5. Clear alliances. There are clear alliances in a small nuclear family.
Disadvantages of the small family.
1. Feeling isolated. If you are an only child, you may wish you had more siblings and cousins around to play with.
2. Need for other perspectives. Your nuclear family may have a certain view of life which would be made richer if other people were around to give a different point of view.
3. Pressure. When you are an only child, you may feel under pressure to do certain things they like joining a university or doing a certain job. When you have many siblings, there is less individual pressure on you.
4. Increased financial burden. The entire cost of the family rests upon one earning member. However, in case of an extended family, the expenses are met from the common pool.
Conclusion. Nuclear families can be very supportive, just make sure to manage your finances and sort out disagreements!
Category: BlogTagged With: Family System
» Home » Family »
The rate at which our population is growing, one can easily proclaim that a day will come when we will experience major scarcity of basic items such as food, clothing and shelter. Going by the facts, it won�t be an understatement to declare that we will end up polluting Mother Nature to the extreme, and thereby end up creating a perfect recipe for disaster, which might take a huge toll of human lives in the years to come. Today, you will find most state governments encouraging small families to avoid the harsh implications associated with over population. Small family is required not only to keep environmental hazards and other economic issues at bay, but also to ensure better quality of life.
As such, a small family promises well-fed and healthy family members. Goes without saying, kids will receive more love and attention from their parents. If you have many kids, you will be left with a daunting task of disciplining them and injecting good values in them. It�s like coaching an overcrowded classroom, where only few understand while others only listen. You will most likely miss out on quality time, otherwise required to imbibe good values in your kids. It�s not uncommon to witness family heads getting overwhelmed with responsibilities, especially when they have a large family. Goes without saying, with a large family size, one can expect personal and professional issues in bulk. For a parent, attending practice sessions, open house and other events is a must to track their child�s progress. Your kids will miss you drastically, if you don�t attend important events in their lives. Whereas, if you have a small family, you will be able to attend fruitful activities without throwing an arm and leg, thereby ensuring that everyone in the family has a healthy dose of smile on their cheeks.
Remember, each head in your family has a cost. The size of a family hugely determines the financial health. We all know how stressful life can get without sufficient funds in hands. Larger family would involve more cost on food, clothing, education and other expenses. A small family would mean keeping these expenses low. Also, the quality and quantity of foods served on the table can take a hit, if you have a large family. Goes without saying, chances of foetal death and birth defects are less in smaller families.
Education is another important factor that can go for a ride. Unless money is not a problem in your house, you will end up depriving your kids the opportunity to pursue further studies. A small family usually ends up leading a less stressful life. Larger the size of a family, larger is the number of bad events. Lack of privacy is another issue that has been associated with large families. If you have a small family, you will be able to squeeze quality time for yourself. Remember, if you are happy, only then you will be able to keep people around you happy as well, which is why it�s said, "Small family is a happy family".
Margrit Bradley is a licensed cosmetologist and hairdresser. With more than twelve years experience, Ms. Bradley furthers her education by attending classes, workshops, and beauty shows. She also loves to read and explore new information and write on interesting topics.
View all articles by Margrit Bradley
Related Articles And Other Topics