Hello. I am a newer here. This is my first post. I hope you can help me to correct my essay as well as to improve my writing skills. I have learned a large number of knowledge on this forum.
Thank you all .
In this essay, i was assigned to classify TV programs.
For approximately 8 decades now, TV programs have been a significant part of our everyday lives. TV programs are outstanding ways for many people to entertain as well as to update information. They have various shows in which are demonstrated all countries around the world. In fact, TV programs can be classified into 3 categories according to their content.
The least intriguing for most people are those whose content are all about news. This kind of TV programs is ones in which people do not reveal any appeal. These programs are often shown at lunch time and dinner time. In this category, we are likely to watch the show about what happen around the world, status of the economics, or even weather prediction. As much as the information which News programs provide, they are most boring programs.
Not boring at all are the entertainment programs. These programs comprise comedy shows, movie shows, and game shows. Comedy shows commonly are the most favorite for many people. People are not reluctant to watch this kind of TV programs with their family, their friend, especially their prospective better-halves. Another kind of entertain programs is movie shows. The best choice for you to release your tension is settling yourself on a chair and watching a movie shows which can help relieve your mind and easily drive you into a dream. However, if you want a dynamic program, you should better participate in a game show. You can play, you can dance, and you can do almost everything in this kind of programs. Furthermore, if you are good enough, you can even achieve many prizes from the game. People really enjoy this kind of TV programs, of the three categories this is the best way to entertain.
The programs which are considered that they make up most of anyone's TV time are advertisement programs. Advertisement programs are inserted discretely into the other shows or in a bad day, it can be shown continuously. When you are watching a movie, a game show, you always be disturbed by many advertisements. It can be a milk advertisement, groceries or even a condom advertisement. It is very annoying for most audiences, however ad programs is indispensable for TV producer. They are the main financial source of every TV companies. Without them, every other show will not have enough money to keep going. Because of this harsh fact, advertisement programs are the most important part of entire TV industry.
In conclusion all of these categories make up anyone's TV time. Nevertheless, that does not mean that people are always fond of watching all of these programs. The best advice is choosing suitable programs to watch. They can be news programs for people who want to update information, entertainment programs for who want to relax or advertisement programs for who want to buy something.
This sentence is awkward:
They have various shows in which are demonstrated all countries around the world. -- it sounds like the countries are being "demonstrated."
You can do this:
They have various shows in which countries all around the world are depicted.
Add a little to the thesis statement:
In fact, TV programs can be classified into 3 categories according to their content, and these three categories can help us to understand _________________- (what can they help us to understand? By showing the value of the 3 categories, you express the central truth of your essay.)
The least intriguing for most people are those whose content are all about news.----- Ha ha, that is not true!! All shows are chosen by networks because they appeal to some people. Some of us like to watch the news!! :-)
The programs which are considered interfere with TV time are advertisement programs. Advertisement programs are inserted discretely into the other shows, or, on a bad day, the advertisements can be shown continuously.
What is a Classification Essay?
In a classification essay, a writer organizes, or sorts, things into categories.
Three Steps to Effective Classification:
- Sort things into useful categories.
- Make sure all the categories follow a single organizing principle.
- Give examples that fit into each category.
This is a key step in writing a classification essay. To classify, or sort, things in a logical way, find the categories to put them into. For example, say you need to sort the stack of papers on your desk. Before you would put them in random piles, you would decide what useful categories might be: papers that can be thrown away; papers that need immediate action; papers to read; papers to pass on to other coworkers; or papers to file.
Thesis Statement of a Classification Essay
The thesis statement usually includes the topic and how it is classified. Sometimes the categories are named.
(topic)...(how classified)...(category) (category) (category)
Ex: Tourists in Hawaii can enjoy three water sports: snorkeling, surfing, and sailing.
How to Write an Effective Classification Essay
- Determine the categories. Be thorough; don't leave out a critical category. For example, if you say water sports of Hawaii include snorkeling and sailing, but leave out surfing, your essay would be incomplete because surfing is Hawaii's most famous water sport. On the other hand, don't include too many categories, which will blur your classification. For example, if your topic is sports shoes, and your organizing principle is activity, you wouldn't include high heels with running and bowling shoes.
- Classify by a single principle. Once you have categories, make sure that they fit into the same organizing principle. The organizing principle is how you sort the groups. Do not allow a different principle to pop up unexpectedly. For example, if your unifying principle is "tourist-oriented" water sports, don't use another unifying principle, such as "native water sports," which would have different categories: pearl diving, outrigger, or canoe racing.
- Support equally each category with examples. In general, you should write the same quantity, i.e., give the same number of examples, for each category. The most important category, usually reserved for last, might require more elaboration.
Common Classification Transitions
- The first kind, the second kind, the third kind
- The first type, the second type, the third type
- The first group, the second group, the third group
Remember: In a classification essay, the writer organizes, or sorts, things into categories. There are three steps to remember when writing an effective classification essay: organize things into useful categories, use a single organizing principle, and give examples of things that fit into each category.
Below are some sample classification essay topics:
- Classification of historical events in US
- Countries classification (territory, popularity, etc)
- Sport Cars Classification
- Most Popular TV Shows in America
- Classification of Physiological Diseases
You can choose essay topic for your classification essay you are familiar with.