Use of Downloaded Files
Installing Individual Styles
- Download the style you want to install.
- Double-click the style file. It should open in EndNote.
- In EndNote, go to “File Menu” and choose “Save As”. Replace the word “copy” with your style’s name and click “Save”.
- Click on “File Menu” and choose “Close Style”.
Have version X1 or prior? Click here for instructions.
Installing All Styles or Styles by Category
- In EndNote, go to “Menu” and choose “Customizer”.
- Place a check next to all of the “Output Styles” you’d like.
- Click “Next” twice and “Done” to close the window.
- Go to “Control Panel” and choose “Add or Remove Programs” in Windows XP or “Programs and Features” in Windows Vista/7. Select EndNote and choose “Change”. Select the “Modify Option” and choose “Next”.
- Place a check next to “Additional Styles” and choose “Will be installed on local hard drive.” Click the plus sign to select only specific styles. Click “Next”.
EndNote is a citation management program that allows you to:
- Create and maintain your own searchable database of literature references
- Centralize and organize your research information
- Insert citations into word processed documents
- Format references and bibliographies in a variety of styles
EndNote is available as downloadable software (Desktop version) for PCs and Macs, and as a cloud-based account online.
The Desktop version must be bought, and comes with an online account, but you can also create a free online account (Endnote Basic) that is mostly similar to the online account you would get with Endnote Desktop.
March 2017: The screenshots currently in this guide are of Endnote X7, so they may look a bit different from what you have if you've just bought Endnote X8. We're currently looking at Endnote X8, but at this point it seems like most of the functions work the same way as X7 - they're just blue instead of orange.